Friday, March 7, 2008

Insight

At a motivational assembly I attended a few weeks ago, the speaker talked about how she used to feel hopeless and useless. She said that she was once suicidal and experienced the lowest level of depression imaginable. She said that she didn't trust who she was and certainly couldn't imagine that anyone would appreciate her for everything that she was. She didn't even see everything that she was. She said that she used to take those little quizzes in the Cosmo magazine and she would cheat and circle answers that she thought were cool, but not what she actually did or felt or believed. She said she would put those out on her coffee table so that if anyone ever came over and happened to flip through them, they would see her answers and think she was so much better than she really was. Her point in telling this, was to go on to talk about how she pulled herself up from the bottom to become something great and achieve success through chiropractic. I would like to make a different point with her story.

The reason that I got into chiropractic was to help people. Amazingly, back then I had no idea how much I could offer from everything that I learned. Recently, I've found that my most favorite technique to use on patients is energy work. Every cell in your body has a specific energy from which it functions. This energy can be interrupted by emotional stresses, illnesses, diseases, trauma or psychological factors. Emotional energy balancing allows your body to return to its natural state and heal itself. It is amazing stuff.

After practicing on about 100 visits or so, I've found that the hardest thing for people to do is to love and accept themselves. And it is hard! How many times do you take a look at yourself in the mirror and say, "I love you?" How many times do you reassure yourself with words of confirmation? Repeat after me: I completely accept and love myself and my power as a wo/man. Sounds silly, doesn't it? But it was probably hard to say, right? Challenge for the week: Remind yourself at every chance that you love and completely accept yourself for who you are, what you've seen, what you've done or haven't done and really mean it. It's easy to tell others how much we love and admire them. The new found respect that you have for yourself could give you the strength to accomplish things you've been setting your heart on.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I enjoyed reading this post. You are so right! I am one of those who do not like my appearance especially after having a baby. I have been struggling with sadness and what I call a funk. I have found that if I get up and take a shower right off, I feel better. I would love for you to work on me sometime!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
You would make a great motivational speaker. All you need is a van down by the river. Ha Ha Ha!

Adam