Thursday, June 5, 2008

Old Man Farts

I joined this amazing gym up the road in Flower Mound. I've been a member of the 24 Hour Fitness but I'm not happy with the gym that's nearby. Plus, my membership there was about the end soon anyway.

So, the gym in Flower Mound has everything that you would ever need. It's 3 floors and has a million classes to choose from at any given time: treadmill, cycling, water aerobics, weight lifting, yoga/pilates, step; you name it. This evening, I decided to take a cycling class. I've always enjoyed the ones at 24 and wanted to give this gym a go. At most gyms, the 6 o'clock hour is the busiest time because people are getting off work, so I expected the class to be packed. When I walked in, there was one very obvious trait among the other class attendees. They were all 40+ men except for about 2 other women. I guess that's not abnormal for a family gym like this one, but it was a vast distinction from the trendy 24 Hour.

Overall, it was a great class! At first, I thought the instructor was trying to be cute and her outfit was a joke. "She must be going to a costume party after this," was a thought that ran through my mind. She was dressed in a unitard that looked like a one piece bathing suit over bicycle shorts; you know, like what you would wear with your scrunched socks in 1983. Her outfit was complete with a rolled tie dye bandanna headband under her large curled bangs and heavy blue eyeshadow. Luckily, she was missing the socks. But it turns out she wasn't joking. This is what she dresses like normally. At least her music and instructions were up to date and the hour flew by.

All in all, it was a pretty unmemorable workout; great but not memorable. Except for one thing...the hovering green cloud that hung in the air. Gas is suppose to diffuse, right?! All of the older men were regulars and knew each other by name. If this is the case, then the farter must be a regular too. I don't know if I will be returning to the Thursday 6 pm cycling class. That is the most unbearable smell I've encountered. Even for a gymnasium full of stinky people! Maybe next time I'll sit in the front row in front of the fans just in case.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I love your descriptions! I believe I'd skip the cycling class too!

Stephanie said...

that was hilarious! Gracie kept saying, "why are you laughing?" I can just picture it. Good job for sticking through the hour! And HOW did you not totally die laughing at the instructor???