Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fats For Thought

This just in...fat on your hips is better for your brain! I read a new research article today that suggests that women with an hourglass figure may on average be brighter and have more clever children. Go women with back! One possible reason is the greater percentage of omega 3 fats found on the hips. The study examined 16,000 women and girls, and found that women with a greater difference between the waist and hips scored significantly higher on cognitive tests, as did their children. Those with a waist-to-hip ratio between 0.6 and 0.7 achieved the highest scores. Fat around hips and thighs holds higher levels of omega 3 fats, which are essential for the growth of the brain during pregnancy. Fat around the waist may have higher levels of omega 6 fats acids, which are less well suited to brain growth. Good sources of your omega 3's which you must receive from nutrition because your body doesn't produce them are fish, flax seed, and walnuts.



While on the subject of fats, do you know the best oils to cook with? I would only have two in my kitchen. Probably the most well know would be extra virgin olive oil. Another one that is even better than that is coconut oil. I've been hearing about coconut oil for a little while but just now started using it. When looking for oils, you want to have saturated fats. Saturated fats don't have any double bonds in them and therefore are easy for your body to reuse. Unsaturated and trans fats are not easy to break down and your body ends up storing them instead of utilizing the free energy. Coconut oil is also high in omega 3's. Corn, sunflower, safflower and vegetable oils are high in omega 6's and not helpful. So start melting that coconut oil, girls and be proud of those birthing hips!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

hmm...so skinny people aren't as smart? lol First I need to "get real" now I need to grow more hips?!! geeeeezz :)

I have been using coconut oil for ahwile now in place of all other oils. It makes the food so moist! You can buy the non-organic variety at WalMart with the Pam sprays...it is MUCH cheaper.

Jennifer said...

Go ME!!! I have PLENTY of fat on the hips...and other problem areas! :( I am TRYING to remedy that though!
Also, I've heard Canola Oil is not as bad for you. Is that true?
I've not heard about coconut oil. I'll give it a try!

Jennifer Gallagher said...

Canola oil is better than some oils, yes; but it still isn't good to cook with because it changes form when heated. I know, right? My children are going to be geniuses! ;)